Monday 27 August 2012

AAKASH NIHALANI



I love magic but I hate magicians. I love optical illusions but I hate when I don’t get them. I guess it comes to no surprise that I’m beguiled by New York artist Aakash Nihalani.

Nihalani is a magician of sorts. An artist whose isometric and ephemeral street installations bewitch the mind with illusion and trickery. Reflecting the contours and geometry of the environment around us, the overtly bold neon vinyl tape drawings push limits of perspective and render our sense of depth inept.

The site specific sculptures are reactions and extensions of what’s around. Allowing us to find shapes and connections within its visual planes, both physical and fictional, as they operate with and against the surroundings they occupy.

Visit Nihalani’s interactive welcome page on his website for a fun example of his ephemeral perspective and process.